• Do you shop all the local rummage sales (or have
a friend who is addicted)? Have any of those nifty 'dollar stores' in your
area? How about stores like WalMart, Target, Shopko or Caldors? Take a
look at the jewelry you see in these places, especially necklaces! It may
be a strange necklace, but what about those beads? Take the necklaces apart
and use the beads you like! Keep the extra beads for your kids, or donate
them to a local school (the art teacher will love you =) or museum that
offers craft classes!
-Tip sent in by Margaret Diamond, Elyria, Ohio
make sure you get permission before working!
What you will need:
- 2 eye or head Pins
- assorted sizes/styles of beads
- 2 fish hook ear wires
- round nose pliers
1. If necessary straighten out the head/eye pin.
2. Add your beads making sure to leave at least 3/8" of wire left on top.
3. If necessary, cut any additional wire off the top of your pin so about
3/8" is left.
4. Using your pliers, make a small loop at the top of the head/eye pin.
5. Now with the pliers, open the "eye" end of the eye pin slightly.
6. Attach one of the earwires, and close the loop again. (picture 3)
Would you like to know when new issues are added?
Sign up on our update
like to submit to Etcetera? Do you have a craft or tip you would
like to share?
Please look at the Submission Information Page
and then drop me an email!
Etcetera is sponsored
Eclectic Etc., Inc.
P.O. Box 10
Willow Grove, PA 19090-0010
Please Note... The
ideas presented here are intended for personal use only.
Creating items to sell from
our instructions would be in poor taste.
Please send an email to
Eclectic Etc., Inc. if you
have any questions or concerns.
© Copyright, 1996, 1997, 1998 All Rights Reserved, Carolyn
S. Nehring and Eclectic Etc., Inc.
No part of this page may be reproduced in any manner for commercial or
noncommercial purposes without written permission from Eclectic Etc., Inc.
Kids! You can make
your own beads and jewelry! Below are two recipes for art dough that work
great for making beads. Give them a try and enjoy your jewelry! If you
don't want to wear a necklace, maybe make a bracelet or give your artwork
as a gift!
Art and Bead Clay
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup salt
- water (warm is best)
- mixing bowl
- yarn or string
paint (watercolors work good!)
1. mix flour, salt, and cornstarch in bowl
2. add warm water gradually until mixture forms a shape
3. mix it in your hands until you get a ball
4. make beads - make lots of different shapes!
5. Put a hole in your beads (toothpicks work good or straws)
6. Let your beads dry until they are hard (overnight)
7. paint your beads and then string them!
Basic Art Clay
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup salt
- 1 3/4 cups water (warm is best)
- mixing bowl
- yarn or string
1. mix all ingredients into a bowl (use your hands)
2. make beads - make lots of different shapes!
3. Put a hole in your beads (toothpicks work good or straws)
4. Let your beads dry until they are hard (overnight)
5. paint your beads and then string them!
- Press sequins or small glass seed beads into your beads before they dry!
- Cut small pieces of straws to string with your clay beads!
- String other beads you might have around your house with your new clay